Food & Wine Workshops £40
Food & Wine Workshops are held in our rooms above Blackfriars Restaurant, and cover the principles of matching foods and wines. They include practical demonstrations of how different food elements combine with differing styles of wine. A hand-picked selection of 6-7 superb wines will be served, with tasting samples of delicious, freshly prepared, seasonal food from the award winning Blackfriars Restaurant.
The Food & Wine Workshop also makes a great Gift idea for any occasion! On a typical evening guests will taste for example :
- Top NV Champagne with smoked salmon, horseradish & creme fraiche
- Delicious dry, minerally Chablis with Moules Marinieres (mussels in garlic, white wine, & fresh herbs)
- Zesty citrus/lime flavoured Riesling from Australia with pan-fried tiger prawns with chilli, garlic, & ginger.
- Beguiling fragrant New World Pinot Noir with a rich country pate.
- Warm spicy Shiraz/Grenache with Boeuf Bourgignonne (slow-cooked local beef in red wine, shallots & herbs)
- Honeyed, candied peel flavours of Sauternes with a delicious Roquefort Cheese
Some Key Principles of Food & Wine Matching :
- salty food with sweet wine (eg Rocquefort with Muscat)
- rich/oily food with sweet wine (eg foie gras with Sauternes)
- salty food with sharp wine (eg ham, oysters, olives with Fino Sherry, Loire Sauvignon, dry Riesling, Chablis etc)
- rich/oily food with sharp wine (eg Chinese with Loire Sauvignon, Confit de Canard with Loire reds)
- sweet food with sweet wine (eg Tarte Tatin with Riesling Spatlese or Vouvray Moelleux - wine should be sweeter than food)
- foods with acidity with sharp wine (eg tomato-dishes with Barbera wines, vinaigrettes with Loire sauvignon etc)
- cool climate = high acidity