Boeuf Bourgignon Recipe
NWS Boeuf Bourguignonne Recipe
¨ 675g stewing steak (try Stewarts - Brentwood Ave)
¨ 2/3 tbsp olive oil
¨ 1 large onion, chopped or 15 small button onions
¨ 30g butter
¨ 1 clove garlic, crushed
¨ 2 tsp plain flour
¨ 500 ml red wine
¨ 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, fresh thyme, parsley stalks,
¨ stick celery, all tied up with string)
¨ salt, freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 150C
2. Cut beef into small cubes
3. Heat oil and brown beef very well, a little at a time. This gives the sauce a delicious richness and shine!
4. Remove meat and add half butter – gentley cook onions until soft, scraping all meat residue into the mix
5. Add garlic and stir in flour
6. Add wine – stir until boiling, again scraping bottom of pan
7. Season with salt & pepper, add bouquet garni. Cover and cook in oven for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender.
8. Meanwhile cut bacon into small pieces and blanch in boiling water for 1 min. Drain well.
9. Heat other half butter add bacon/mushrooms cook fast til delicately browned.
10. Add bacon/mushrooms to stew after it has been cooking for 2 - 3 hours.
11. When beef is tender remove bouquet garni and check seasoning.
12. Eat with bottle of good quality, full-bodied red wine & friends!