WSET Level 3 Award in Wines £650
Newcastle Wine School is the North East’s leading provider of WSET courses and part of the - 2015 Riedel WSET Educator of the Year Winning - Local Wine School network, the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators.
The WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs. The courses are all Ofqual regulated.
All course dates are listed at the bottom of this page.
Not sure exactly what is covered in the Level 3 Course?
The Level 3 Award in Wines & Spirits is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and spirits and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting as tasting will be part of the examinations. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Newcastle Wine School has provided WSET training to the Region’s leading restaurants including; Blackfriars, House of Tides, The Staith House and The Bay Horse, Hurworth. Andrew Ray of Michelin starred restaurant Houe of Tides, Newcastle with his Level 3 Certificate
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Wales
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
- Number of Wines Tasted; 70-80 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials Students; will receive a Level 3 course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and tasting card
- Duration of course; 7 DAYS - 6 Full days Tuition & tasting - 10am to 530pm plus 1 day full Revision Session plus Exam - 10am to 3 pm (Over 40 hours fully tutored compared with some providers 32 hours)
- Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course
- Modes of Study; 7 Consecutive Mondays - Full Day Release
- Examination; The Advanced examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer writtten section. Part two will be a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass
- Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Newcastle Wine School is an APP (Approved Programme Provider with WSET) & has been teaching wine courses in Newcastle since 1999.
Each year the WSET selects the TOP 1% of Level 3 Award graduates to compete for a WSET Scholarship
In 2014 nearly 20% of these Scholarship nominees graduated from a Local Wine School WSET course
Our tutors are amongst the highest-performing WSET trainers in the UK, and our students enjoy well above average exam results
(Image courtesy of WSET Awards & Gerard Basset OBE, MS, MW, MBA.)
WSET Level 3 Award - Mondays Mondays for 7 sessions - 17,24,September 1,8,15, 22, 29 October 2018 This well-structured and in-depth Level 3 Certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to
Places remaining: 12
Date/Time: 17th Sep 2018 at 10am to 5.00pm
Venue: Northern Counties Club, 11 Hood St,Newcastle, NE1 6LH