WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits £345
Newcastle Wine School is the North East’s leading provider of WSET courses and part of the - 2015 Riedel WSET Educator of the Year Winning - Local Wine School network, the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators.
The WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs. The courses are all Ofqual regulated.
NB. The Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits is an entry level wine course - you do not need to have done any other wine courses to attend this and gain the Level 2 Certificate!
The WSET Level 2 Award Course is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress to Level 3.
Newcastle Wine School has provided WSET training to the Region’s leading restaurants including; Blackfriars, House of Tides, The Staith House and The Bay Horse, Hurworth. Andrew Ray of Michelin starred House of Tides restaurant, Newcastle with his Level 3 Certificate.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Labelling : Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 30 wines and 4 spirits will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive an Level 2 course study pack, consisting of the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
- Duration of course : 16 hours (8 two-hour evening sessions or 3 full days ) plus 1 hour examination
- Recommended Private Study : 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course.
- Modes of Study : Day Release (one day a week for three weeks) / Evening (one evening a week for eight weeks)
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Customer Comments -
" Just wanted to say thank you for running the WSET Level 2 course. It was a really informative, enjoyable and stimulating 3 days and I can't quite believe how much it has changed the way I think about wine already - I actually went out last night and bought a a Tawny Port simply to compare it with a vintage Port!
Of course the only downside is I'll have to go to work on Wednesdays now! If in future there is sufficient interest to run an Advanced Course, please count me in, as I intend to keep learning about wine in any way I can! Thanks again - Simon" (WSET Level 2 Course - April 2010)
"Very many thanks for the WSET course. It was an excellent 3 days, relaxed enough to be thoroughly enjoyable but structured enough to ensure we learnt plenty. The only downside is, what now?! Aside from spending a lot of money on wine, I'm left feeling I want to know more, more, more. So, please add my name to the definitely interested in the Advanced Course. With plenty of warning, and a course in the first half of 2011, I can pretty safely say I'll be there! " James (WSET Level 2 Course - April 2010)
For details of WSET courses at our other locations around the UK - Click here.....
3 Full Days - Mondays 5/12/19 November 2018 - The WSET Level 2 Award Course (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate) is suitable for anybody who has a serious interest in wine, and
Places remaining: 7
Date/Time: 5th Nov 2018 at 10am to 5.00pm
Venue: Northern Counties Club, 11 Hood St,Newcastle, NE1 6LH